IDC Products and Services
IDC’s Mobile Phones service provides a comprehensive, global analysis of the key technologies and market trends relating to both consumer and enterprise mobile devices. The service addresses key mobile technologies, from personal, local, and wide area wireless connectivity and alternative input solutions to mobile device operating systems and browsers, user interfaces, and location-based services and technologies. The service also provides detailed global and regional forecasts for mobile phones and smartphones. Close attention is given to leading vendors as well as their strategies and their ability to execute on those strategies. The service is designed to help device manufacturers, software developers, mobile operators, and component suppliers navigate the evolving market for mobile devices through actionable intelligence.
Markets and Subjects Analyzed
- Smartphones (including large screen smartphones) and feature phones
- Wireless access standards
- Evolution of wireless technology and intellectual property
- Mobile device operating systems and browsers
- User interface technologies, including touchscreen
- BYOD and enterprise device strategies
- Nascent technologies and services, including NFC and new screen technologies
- GPS capabilities, location technologies, and presence
- Platform creation
- OEM mobile operator relationship
- Mobile device distribution channel
- Worldwide Smartphone Forecast and Analysis
- Worldwide Mobile Phone Forecasts and Analyses
- Worldwide Mobile Operating Systems Forecasts and Analyses
- New Materials and Form Factors
- OEM and Mobile Operator Challenges
- Impact of Emerging Markets on Device Use and Design
- Price Band Analysis
- Survey: Mobile End-User Buying Behavior
- Survey: Mobile Devices
- Display Forecast and Analysis
In addition to the insight provided in this service, IDC may conduct research on specific topics or emerging market segments via research offerings that require additional IDC funding and client investment.
Key Questions Answered
- What are the strategies being adopted by device vendors to differentiate themselves?
- How will the consumption of Web-based services influence the design and use case of mobile phones?
- How will GPS and location-based services affect the mobile device market?
- What does the growing salience of emerging markets mean for established device vendors and their smaller rivals?
- What does the ascendancy of the open source operating systems mean for the future of mobile devices?
- How does device technology evolve beyond the current form factor?
This service analyzes the product strategies and strategic direction of major players in the mobile device technology market, including:
AMD, Analog Devices, Apple, ARM, Avago, BlackBerry, Broadcom, Comverse, CoolPad Belkin, Curitel, Fujitsu, Google, Haier, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, HTC, Huawei, Hynix, IBM, Intel, Kingston, Kyocera, Lenovo, LG Electronics, Marvell, MediaTek, Micromax, Microsoft, Motorola, NEC, Nokia, NXP, Panasonic, Pantech, Plantronics, Qualcomm, SAGEM, Samsung, SanDisk, Seagate, Sharp, Sony, Spirent, STMicroelectronics, Sun, Symantec, Texas Instruments, Toshiba, Xiaomi, Yahoo. and ZTE, as well as both domestic and international mobile operators.